Xiaomi Redmi 1S comes pre-loaded with MIUI that itself is a great ROM, packed with impressive features and customization options. However, if your experience with MIUI onRedmi 1S isn’t satisfactory then you might be looking to install a custom ROM for enhanced performance. In order to flash a custom ROM on Android phones, you need to first install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) or Team Win Recovery Project(TWRP). Though, both these recoveries are very popular but currently CWM for Redmi 1S isn’t complete and lacks many features, such as you can’t select .zip files to install from internal storage. Luckily, the amazing TWRP recovery is officially available for Redmi 1S, which is certainly the most stable and full-featured recovery for Redmi 1S with support for Touch interactive menu.
TWRP 126.96.36.199 for Redmi 1S includes touch interface, full SELinux (4.3+) support, Backup encrypt function, fully functional USB On-The-Go (OTG) and MTP support since 2.8.0.X. It’s advisable to install TWRP over CWM if you’re interested in several additional options it offers. Unlike CWM, TWRP is pretty tricky to install on Redmi 1S as the typical installation methods require you to first root the device and then install TWRP using the TWRP Manager app. Whereas, the other method requires to boot Redmi 1S into fastboot mode and then flash the recovery.img file via command line using a computer. Don’t worry, we’ve figured out an easy way to install TWRP on Redmi 1S by following neither of the 2 methods stated above.
Note: With the below procedure, you will be able to first install CWM recovery on Redmi 1S and then install TWRP using CWM. In case, you’re just interested in CWM recovery then you can skip rest of the following guide and stay with CWM only. Best of both worlds!
Installing TWRP Touch Recovery on Redmi 1S -
1. Download ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery v188.8.131.52 for Redmi 1S WCDMA.
2. Transfer the downloaded "signed_cwm_update.zip" file to the root directory of your phone’s internal storage.
3. Go to Updater app, press menu button and then click “Select update package”. Then select the CWM zip file and tap Update. Your phone will reboot now.
Installing TWRP using CWM – We need to install CWM because TWRP update.zip file can’t be installed using the stock Mi-Recovery as it gives “signature verification failed” error.
4. Download TWRP 2.8 Touch Recovery (official flashable build for Redmi 1S). Transfer the downloaded update.zip file to the root directory of your external SD card. [Forum Thread]
5. Reboot into CWM recovery – Go to Updater app, press menu button and then click “Reboot to recovery mode”. Alternatively, power off the phone and then press “Power + volume up” button simultaneously to boot into recovery mode.
6. Select ‘Install zip’ > ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then choose ‘update.zip’ and install it. Now go back and Reboot your phone by selecting ‘reboot system now’. That’s it!
Next time you reboot into recovery, you will find the TWRP recovery v2.8.
NOTE: In case, your device gets stuck at Mi logo or the apps force close after installing TWRP, then boot into TWRP recovery and “wipe cache and dalvik cache”. Then reboot into system (Wait for a few minutes while the phone reboots).
~ We’ve tried this on Redmi 1S WCDMA running MIUI v5 (build JHCMIBH41.1).